* You are having pain while breastfeeding
* You are struggling with positioning
* Latching is difficult, uncomfortable or awkward
* Your breasts are full and hard longer than 2 days
* You are struggling emotionally and feel discouraged
* Baby needs to be woken for most feedings, or is not staying awake to take a full feeding
* Baby has lost more than 10% of birth weight, or is not gaining as expected
* Baby is having excessive spit up or gas and seems to be uncomfortable after most feedings
* Baby is not having enough wet and dirty diapers
* Baby is not back to birth weight by 2 weeks of age
* Baby is refusing to nurse, or refusing one side
* Your nipples are distorted, or blanched (white) after feeding
* Your nipples are bleeding or cracked
* You are concerned about your supply being too low
* You believe that you have 'too much' milk, or that baby isn't able to empty the breasts
* You are being encouraged to supplement or you want to stop supplementing
* You have questions in general about breastfeeding, and or pumping
* You are experiencing lumps, or hard areas on your breasts, or flu like symptoms in addition to breast soreness and fatigue
* You need help weaning from a nipple shield
Horizon Blue Cross
Keystone Healthplan East
Independence Blue Cross
As well as Most out of state Blue Cross Plans
Some plans do not cover lactation, other plans do cover it but place restrictions or limits on the number of consults
It is your responsibility to check with your plan for coverage.
At this time Cigna and United HealthCare do NOT typically cover outpatient lactation consults
I come to your home. We set a tentative time (morning or afternoon) and then I text you that day to firm up the exact time based on how the feedings are timing that day. We try to settle on a time about 15 - 30 minutes before you anticipate that your little one will be ready to eat. I will weigh your baby in nothing but a dry diaper to get a true weight.
I will observe your feeding and give my suggestions for making it easier or more comfortable for you if that is the case. I will show you alternative positions and latch techniques. I will assess the feeding and intake amounts using pre and post feeding weights.
With your permission, I will examine your breasts, and any nipple damage, and I will examine your baby's mouth by using a gloved finger to asses suck and mouth structure.
I will help you develop a plan for your breastfeeding that works for you and your family.
I will demonstrate (with a doll) how to pace feed, and explain the importance of feeding this way. If your baby is taking a bottle, you will be able to practice this feeding method.
I will demonstrate (with a doll) how to do tummy time and why.
I will answer your questions or direct you to appropriate resources.
I will leave you with handouts and a written care plan.
I will follow up with an email containing the typed care plan, any additional handouts and a summary of the visit.
I will be available via text, or email for updates and questions and to schedule follow up consults if desired.
Preparation for Breastfeeding
General preparation for breastfeeding, what to expect. How to get off to a good start. Time for questions.
takes place in your home
General preparation for breastfeeding and what to expect for a group setting. time for questions this is total cost
can take place at your location of choice
feeding evaluation / problems
see above for what is included in a typical consult
for an established client
pumping evaluation, and tips
Ideally your baby will be hungry shortly after I arrive, not just fed!
Have any pillows, nipple shields, you are using, handy
If you have ANY pets, kindly secure them in a different room during the consult
have your pump washed and handy, have not just fed or pumped within the previous 60 minutes